Search This Blog

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Solid day on the Swift

This trout was caught at the Swift river probably around last April. Due to the really harsh winter Massachusetts got, trout stocking was delayed. When my friend and I arrived at the Swift we actually found very few trout, it seemed as though there was 10 suckers for every rainbow. The first place we stopped was almost right beneath the route nine bridge. Once we got down to the river we saw a solid pod of fish maybe around 20 or so. Most of them were suckers but there were a few holdover rainbows in the mix. At the time my friend was fishing dry flies and nymphs while I was just drifting an egg. At one point after not getting any bites I decided to cast near a fallen tree across the river, hoping there might be something in there...and there was, the rainbow pictured below. That trout put up a solid fight, twisting my tippet all around some sticks near the fallen tree. Luckily my friend was there and was able to net the fish before it snapped off. Later I switched to a brown wooly bugger and was able to catch a sucker in the same spot. My friend was able to land a sucker on an egg pattern down at the Y-pool. Towards the end of the day we decided to head down to the pipe where we both used Walt's worm patterns in size 16 both tied with dark brown dubbing and mine with a jig hook. I was able to land another rainbow trout in the shallow water right beneath the pipe. All in all it was a good day with some good fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment