Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2016

Fly Fishing in Nova Scotia






All these pictures were taken in Cape Breton Nova Scotia on a recent trip to Nova Scotia this past July. Overall this had to be my most enjoyable trout fishing experience. I probably fished for around 5 hours in total and caught somewhere around 30 trout. The first 4 brookies were caught in a random creek in the Margaree watershed that is also pictured above. My dad and I drove around 5 minutes away from our hotel and found a small creek off the side of the road in the Margaree Valley. Lucky for me we found the creek in the midst of a blizzard of a sulphur hatch. I quickly hopped into the river and tied on a generic yellow mayfly. I first casted into a riffle no more 4 feet wide and 6 inches deep (you can see it at the very top of the picture). There I quickly landed a small salmon parr. I went on to catch around 20 more trout in a period of 30 minutes all on dry flies. Although they were all under about 8 inches, it was still a blast. The next day I fished in a small river somewhere on the northern coast of Cape Breton. There, despite the fact it was low water and the middle of the day, brook trout were rising. Once I got down to the river I ended up having to cut my line due to a tangle. Unfortunately I forgot my tippet in the car, but the fish didn't seem to care. I used my 4 foot 8lb test leader and tied on a mayfly dry fly and successfully caught 5 or so beautiful native brook trout. Later that day I returned to the Margaree river where I swung for salmon with no results. I then pulled out my trout rod and fished the same fly I fished the past few days and caught the salmon parr and big trout above, along with a few more smaller trout. The fish in Cape Breton were strong, aggressive, and a blast to catch. I would definitely recommend fishing here to anyone who loves brook trout. Although I didn't catch many big ones I caught many beautiful ones, and in the end, catching native trout on dry flies never gets old.

No comments:

Post a Comment